Frequently Asked Questions (Students)
How do I join the Academy?
- Log on to the website and complete the application – you will need your parent’s permission before you apply
- To be eligible for the Academy you will need to be passing Maths, English and Science at school
Why should I join the Academy?
- By joining the Academy, you will have the opportunity to be mentored by a dedicated CSIRO Academic Coordinator and undertake activities to help you work towards a career in the exciting field of STEM. You will receive support and resources throughout high school through to university and graduate employment.
What will I do in the Academy?
- The Academy will offer a range of activities including:
- A STEM Camp for Year 8 students
- An opportunity to participate in the Creativity in Research, Engineering, Science and Technology (CREST) Awards
- A personalised plan that is tailored to your interests and goals
- Access to STEM camps and activities throughout high school
- Regular catch-ups with your Academic Coordinator or Student Advisor to make sure you’re getting the support you need
- Work placements in STEM jobs
- Access to leadership programs
- Regular online experiences where you will be able to talk to other students, Indigenous and non-Indigenous women working in STEM and students studying STEM at university
- Help to make sure you have access to the resources you need to finish high school and university
- Support to make decisions about school subjects and university courses
What will be expected of me if I join the Academy?
- Work hard at school and university
- Graduate Year 12 and consider a university degree
- Attend Academy events and activities
- Let your Academic Coordinator or Student Advisor know if you need help
- Do your best to succeed
What if I fail maths or science in high school?
- Your Academic Coordinator will work with you to get extra help
What about my family? What do they need to do?
- Your family will need to support you – this means helping you get to events or activities, providing information to your Academic Coordinator to help plan camps and other activities and attending any activities that they are invited to
Will my school know about the Academy?
- Yes, when you apply to join the Academy, we will ask you to give us the name of a teacher at your school that you would like to work with
- We will contact your school to let them know you are part of the Academy
- We will make sure that you don’t miss any school to participate in Academy activities
What if I want to leave the Academy?
- You can leave the Academy at any time; however, you may not be able to re-join the program if you change your mind later
What if I don’t want to go to University?
- The Academy is for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women who are interested in going to university and studying or working in STEM
- If you don’t want to go to University, there are other programs available that Academy staff can give you information about
Will I get help at university?
- Yes, CareerTrackers are partners with CSIRO in the Academy program. When you start university a CareerTrackers Advisor will help you
For more information or to apply:
Young Indigenous Women’s STEM Academy
(07) 3833 5660 or email@example.com