Wednesday 19th September 2018
- Stephen Ung – Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
- Anja van Hooydonk – Teacher of Mathematics & Science St Mary’s Catholic College; Mathematics B Panel Chair Cairns; QAMT President Cairns
- Tiffany Turnour – Laboratory Technician St Mary’s Catholic College
- Kurt Schoenhoff – Treasurer of The Makers; Business Innovation Development Consultant for TAFE
- Dr Jason Holdsworth – Advance Queensland Community Digital Champion; CSIRO STEM Professional
- Celia Berrell – Science Rhymes; Admin Cairns Neurophysiology
STEM Fair site layout
Tiffany provided a spreadsheet form of EXHIBITORS on 2nd November
- Woree State High School
- JCU (Jason)
- St Augustine’s College
- JCU (Ben)
- St Mary’s College (lego robotics) – IN PRECINCT AREA
- She Flies – IN PRECINCT AREA
- Aviation (display plus Q&A discussion) needs power point
- Department of Environment & Science
- Department of Agriculture & Fisheries
- Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
- St Mary’s College (Questcon Puzzle) – IN SIDE ROOM M1 OR M2
- St Mary’s College (Sandbox VR) (unsupervised display only) – IN PRECINCT AREA
Items 1-8 were already confirmed at the start of the meeting.
Stephen Ung rang Aviation during the meeting and 9 was confirmed
10 hasn’t responded to Tiffany’s latest email, but was firm at the start with specific dimensions (presumably for a display area)
11 Stephen Ung rang Dept Ag & Fish, but received no response at this stage
12 Stephen confirmed he can provide a Lego Creative Space (no power required)
13 Questcon Puzzle needs to be in a room so none of the components get lost
There was a short discussion about the absence of QSITE
Action: Stephen will chase up the Department of Agriculture & Fisheries again
Action: Jason will contact Leigh Howser of QSITE.
At this stage we don’t have precise information on what the exhibitors will be showcasing. Celia wants to contact them to source info to create a riddle/quiz about the displays for participating students, and to assist with writing a blog post/page on the STEM Fair.
Action: Tiffany to forward any “blurb info” from EXHIBITORS to Celia (including flyer please)
Action: Celia to request information from EXHIBITORS and create an article/info about the STEM Fair Facebook Page & Email address
Jason made a start on Cairns Regional Stem; public able to view, but in-group posting only. Apparently our email address firstname.lastname@example.org is only going to Anja and not being received by Tiffany or Matt.
Action: Kurt to re-check G Suite for forwarding catchall email.
Action: Jason can you let us know when Facebook page is active please. STEM Fair Financials
Kurt advised he had made reimbursements as per previous minutes
- $60 to Jason Holdsworth for purchase of Domain name
- $60 for G Suite Account for email address
- $14 to Matthew for work on the flyer
The landing page for www.cairnsregionalstem.org and email address email@example.com (currently redirected to Anja only) is operational (if rudimentary). Kurt has spoken with 2 people who can work to budget and will email them before next week. It should be achievable to have this live within a month.
Action: Kurt to engage a suitable website contender.
Smithfield SHS confirmed; 10 students (+ parents) from Distance Education confirmed ; Peace Lutheran College confirmed – for sessions 1 & 2. Holy Spirit & St Mary’s confirmed for session 3. Woree SHS may not have many attending; St Augustine’s can’t confirm at this stage. Trinity Bay SHS not attending.
Action: Stephen will re-send flyer to Director of State Schools. Action: Jason will ask Cairns SHS
Next STEM Fair Meeting is in two weeks, on Wednesday 3rd October at 4.30pm 65-67 Spence Street, Level 3 Citi Central at Stephen Ung’s offices.