Wednesday 5th September 2018
- Rena Singh – Inspiring Australia (via phone link)
- Stephen Ung – Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
- Anja van Hooydonk – Teacher of Mathematics & Science St Mary’s Catholic College; Mathematics B Panel Chair Cairns; QAMT President Cairns
- Tiffany Turnour – Laboratory Technician St Mary’s Catholic College
- Dr Jason Holdsworth – Advance Queensland Community Digital Champion; CSIRO STEM Professional
- Joe Quinn – Woree SHS
- Lisa Cantasmessa – Holy Spirit College
- Kastelle Gane – St Augustine’s College
- Celia Berrell – Science Rhymes; Admin Cairns Neurophysiology
- Matthew Ritchie – President of The Makers; Business Innovation Development Consultant for TAFE
- Kurt Schoenhoff – Treasurer of The Makers; Business Innovation Development Consultant for TAFE
- Rena asked the meeting to consider the following issues: having a STEM Forum in October (we agreed this was too early);
- attending a STEM Conference 19-23 Nov for Networking and Sharing what each HUB is doing in a 5-10min presentation;
- how to sustain our STEM projects into the future – i.e. does Cairns Regional STEM grow into an Incorporation or look to philanthropy;
- for a Professional Development project Rena suggested a capital city 2 day program, flying-in am one day, staying overnight then flying-out the next and suggested Inspiring Australia could assist with funding up to two people’s travel and accommodation per HUB.
She advised that WA has appointed a Project Officer for their STEM Networking.
Everyone agreed that we really need someone who can lead.
STEM/Science Fair Elections
We need to have a President, Secretary and Treasurer for effective operation.
That Anja van Hooydonk be PRESIDENT moved by Tiffany; seconded by Castelle – carried
That Celia Berrell be SECRETARY moved by Tiffany; seconded by Stephen – carried
That Kurt Shoenhoff be TREASURER (as he is already authorised to access funds) moved by Tiffany; seconded Celia – awaiting confirmation as Kurt was absent from this meeting
STEM Fair Progress to date
Tiffany reported that we need about 20 stand/displays for the Undercover Space (37m x 40m). At this stage there are only 15. 1.8m trestle tables and 2 screens are available for the Undercover Space, however power-points are limited. We may need to hire equipment to provide more power- points (ie generator). We need to know if any displays have other special requirements.
Tiffany is happy to be Equipment Coordinator.
We already have some schools confirmed for attending the Fair (which will be run in 3 sessions). Peace Lutheran (60 Students) for Session 1. Session 3 will be for St Mary’s College, St Gerard Majella and Holy Spirit College Manoora (53 Students).