Monday 13th August 2018
- Stephen Ung – Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
- Matthew Ritchie – President of The Makers; Business Innovation Development Consultant for TAFE
- Dr Jason Holdsworth – Advance Queensland Community Digital Champion; CSIRO STEM Professional
- Anja van Hooydonk – Teacher of Mathematics & Science St Mary’s Catholic College; Mathematics B Panel Chair Cairns; QAMT President Cairns
- Tiffany Turnour – Laboratory Technician St Mary’s Catholic College
- Kurt Shoenhoff – Treasurer The Makers; Business Innovation Development Consultant for TAFE
- Celia Berrell – Science Rhymes; Admin Cairns Neurophysiology
With funding of $10k approved, we envisioned a split of $3k for Website, $2k for Workshops and $5k for STEM Science Fair.
Venue is not finalised and a scaling back from original goals was discussed.
It was agreed that our first Science Fair should be seen as a pilot event, from which larger annual events can develop.
Anja and Stephanie proposed holding the event at St Mary’s Catholic College close to the end of Term 4, focusing on students in Years 9 & 10, inviting students from Woree SHS, Bentley Park and possibly Trinity Anglican School.
They suggested an event which could service two groups of attendees: 1.5hrs in the morning (10am – 11.30am) for students from other schools & an afternoon session (1.30pm – 3pm) for St Mary’s students.
Action: Anja will ask St Mary’s Principal if this proposal ca go ahead.
Stephen Ung advised that with attendance from Woree SHS he may be able to provide some assistance for this project.
We then discussed the HUB. Stephanie proposed the name Cairns Regional STEM. Jason confirmed the domain name cairnsregionalstem.org was available.
Action: Jason & Kurt to secure the domain name
A landing page needs to be started asap. This will include our Mission Statement and broad goals – to increase STEM participation, including our remote regions. Key words i.e. Participation; Knowledge; Connectivity; Network; Share; STEM; Promote; Inclusive; Awareness & what’s happening in our region were put forward.
Action: Celia to provide wording for consideration on landing page
It was agreed the website colours should complement those of Inspire Australia.
Allowing some of the funding to go towards Logo design, sourcing suitable images, etc. could make initial