Wednesday 19th June 2019
Opened 4.30pm B11 St Mary’s CC
- Anja van Hooydonk – Teacher of Mathematics & Science St Mary’s Catholic College; Mathematics B Panel Chair Cairns; QAMT President Cairns
- Tiffany Turnour – Laboratory Technician St Mary’s Catholic College
- Celia Berrell – Science Rhymes; Admin Cairns Neurophysiology;
- Kurt Shoenhoff – Independent IT/AV and EE contractor; Treasurer of TheMakers.ORG; JCU IT Honours Student.
- Stephen Ung – Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
Celia briefly met with Desley Ferrando at the Cairns Districts Schools Science and Environmental Enrichment Program’s (2019) Industry Forum at Cairns Regional Council on Monday 10th June and Desley advised that she may be able to return to the STEM Hub meetings.
- Action: Tiffany will email Desley
STEM Fair 16th August
Times have been established as
- session ONE 9.15am to 10.45am;
- session TWO 11.15am to 12.45pm;
- session THREE 1.30pm to 3.15pm.
At this stage we have
- 100 students from Cairns SHS (50 for session ONE; 50 for session THREE);
- Peace Lutheran 45 students for session TWO;
- St Mary’s CC 80 students for session THREE;
- approximately 20 students attending from Edge Hill SS, STEM Girls & Holy Spirit College.
Tiffany continues to liaise with schools and industry/organisations.
Night Sky Mobile Planetarium as suggested by Lorena, accommodates 30 people each session of 20-25minutes, so could cater for two groups in each of the three sessions and costs $1000 for the day.
Motion: that we pay to have this mobile planetarium at the STEM Fair. Moved by Anja; seconded by Celia – carried.
Confirmed Exhibitors at this stage include:
- She Maps, CQU, Cairns Library,
- St Mary’s CC.
- STEM Girls,
- Edge Hill SS,
- Queensland Agriculture Workforce Network,
- Hydrographic In Service Support.
Tiffany is arranging to meet with Paul from She Maps and will ask for his input about the website and the Cairns Show survey.
Cairns Show Stall
Michael Kateifides has been working on this. Celia provided a blurb, two fireworks poems and some survey question suggestions. It was decided that a paper version of the survey would be the most manageable for us at this stage.
- Action: Michael to arrange printing of his Fireworks Periodic Table with Celia’s two poems printed on the back.
- Action: Tiffany to take Celia’s blurb and questionnaire suggestions to Paul for adjusting and finalise, then return to Celia.
- Action: Celia to set out blurb and questionnaire using Publisher, then return to Tiffany to arrange printing.
Cairns Regional STEM Website
Tiffany is liaising with Darren Barden with this website development. We viewed the prototype and came up with the following responses:
Logo is rather tiny in its position at top middle of home page; the background design is rather dark and busy; we will not be sending out newsletters, so the search facility could go there at top left hand side and menu icon could then be bigger; STEM categories are not all represented – Science & Engineering are big, maths smaller, no compartment for Technology? In Profile Submissions please can we include a field for websites and a category for OTHERS & industries?
- Action: Celia to email her landing page words (including our mission statement) to Tiffany to share with Darren.
Next STEM HUB Meeting
Monday 15th July 4.30pm at B11 St Mary’s Catholic College, Woree