Monday 5th June 2019
Opened 4.30pm B11 St Mary’s CC
- Anja van Hooydonk – Teacher of Mathematics & Science St Mary’s Catholic College; Mathematics B Panel Chair Cairns; QAMT President Cairns
- Kurt Schoenhoff – Independent IT/AV and EE contractor; Treasurer of TheMakers.ORG; JCU IT Honours Student
- Tiffany Turnour – Laboratory Technician St Mary’s Catholic College
- Celia Berrell – Science Rhymes; Admin Cairns Neurophysiology
At our meeting 24/5, participants gave valued feedback and suggestions, including:
- Michael Kateifides: who enjoys fireworks? Let’s do a project that includes fireworks and this year’s United Nations Year of the Periodic Table. This year’s Innisfail Show includes a stall on Explosives and Fireworks, connecting community and industry. Michael is also organising a similar stall at the Atherton Show (with some sponsorship from Officeworks) and offered to help with a stall at the Cairns Show. Mike Newman does the fireworks display for both Innisfail and Cairns Shows and he can bring his computer to show how you work out angles and thrust. Fireworks can be a foot-in-the-door for having a stall at the Cairns Show. Lorena said she might go. The Cairns Show runs from 17-19/7.
- Benjamin Farkas: suggested we could include seeking such feedback at a stall at the Cairns Show thought having an Ipad available with a survey about STEM engagement.
- Darren Barden: we need to use some of the funding to build a proper community for these things, including the website, so people who provide STEM can find US.
Cairns Show Stall
A stall including public insurance will cost $730. We just need for Friday 19th July only. Cairns Regional Stem supporters may need to purchase their own tickets to enter the show and assist with the stall, but we can reimburse tickets costs after the event. Michael Kateifides said he would man the stall along with at least eight other people to assist in 2-4 hour shifts. The stall will need to be set up the day before (Thursday 23/7 pm).
We will need to arrange for printing of Michael’s coloured periodic table. Celia has supplied two relevant poems (Fireworks and Colourful Chemistry). We will need to arrange printing of around 300 A4 sheets with the periodic table, poems and short promo blurb about Cairns Regional Stem.
We need to develop a survey which visitors can complete in order to be in the draw for a Prize of a Drone (which we already have available). The aim of the survey is to find out how we engage and connect STEM fields within the community. Celia suggested we could ask “what STEM events do you attended or follow” (ie. EcoFest, Girls in Science, etc).
We will also need a sign, power cables and other stuff relevant for display. The committee agreed that in the interests of the environmental wastage, we would decline to use items such as glow- sticks and bracelets. We presume the stall area will be about 3m inside the Fred Moule complex. Anja moved that we go ahead with booking and organising a Cairns Show Stall for Friday 19th July, aware that we will be investing approximately $1000.00 of our funding in this.
Seconded by Kurt – carried.
Action: Tiffany & Anja to BOOK STALL and find out more details ie. stall number, location, dimensions, conditions.
Action: Kurt to make arrangements for a SIGN.
Action: Kurt to supply power CABLING and arrange for PRINTING of 300 A4sheets on Periodic Table, poem and blurb via JCU.
Action: Celia to supply POEMS and BLURB for A4 promo sheet & can also lend 6metre RED Durlaight flexible lighting display.
Action: All to think on items needed for the Survey. Celia suggested we ask people if they have attended any other STEM related events (ie. EcoFest). Can we organise this as an iPad survey or will it need to be on paper? This will need to be discussed further at our next meeting.
STEM Fair 16th August
Times have been established as session ONE 9.15am to 10.45am; session TWO 11.15am to 12.45pm; session THREE 1.30pm to 3.15pm. Celia has provided Tiffany with a short blurb for emailing out to call for expressions of interest. Once completed, the flyer will be emailed out after our first call for expressions of interest.
Action: Tiffany to arrange for new flyer.
Cairns Regional STEM Website
Darren Barden provided us with a prototype WordPress website and confirmed he could supply us with a completed version within 4 weeks. He advised this would cost approximately $2000 and he would have it ready for 5th July. Tiffany moved we engage Darren to create a Cairns Regional STEM website to take over the www.cairnsregionalstem.org domain name. Seconded by Anja – carried. Tiffany rang Darren and advised him that we wanted him to go ahead.
Action: Tiffany to liaise with Darren to arrange WEBSITE and invite him to attend our next meeting. Next STEM HUB Meeting
Wednesday 19th June 4.30pm at B11 St Mary’s Catholic College, Woree